When I lived in Bucharest, Romania in high school I longed for those famous ‘box mix’ brownies from the States… if I would have known about this recipe I would have realized… this from scratch recipe is the best!
It is quick and delicious… easy to fancy up by adding 1) freshly whipped cream (use mixer to mix up 1C whipping cream with 2 tbps raw sugar and 1 tsp vanilla extract), 2) strawberries or seasonal fruit finely chopped, 3) a sprinkle of freshly ground espresso…. YUM!!
Serve with a glass of pinot noir and you have yourself and gourmet dessert…..
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour an 8 inch square pan.
- In a large saucepan, melt 1/2 cup butter. Remove from heat, and stir in sugar, eggs, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Mix in 1/3 cup cocoa, 1/2 cup flour, salt, and baking powder. Spread batter into pan greased with butter.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Chewy brownies mean watching carefully to make sure they stay gooey and don’t get over done 🙂